Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Failed Rotto blog.

So last weekend was the third and final round of the open mens state surfing titles. The round was being held in Rottnest island and Lockie Marley was attending this event. Mr Marley called me one wednesday afternoon and gave me the details and pretty much just told me that I was coming with him, no exceptions. So we arrived in Fremantle on the friday afternoon, booked for the 6 oclock ferry. Booked in our luggage, got our tickets, and we were set to go.






We spent about an hour at the harbour waiting for 6 O'clock to arrive, so Lockie had a wonder around, and I had a sleep.


I't was time to board the ferry, I was excited! I hadn't been to Rotto since year 9.

The ferry ride across only took around 25 minutes. I also slept on the ferry!


When we arrived in Rottnest it was raining, I was quite annoyed with the rain as all my sleeping equipment was getting wet. We booked in at the front desk in Thompson bay, the guy gave us a map and a key to our cabin, we instantly got lost and had no clue where our hut was. On top of that it was also dark and raining.

We eventually found our cabin, it had two bunk beds and a double bed, a kitchen, and a bathroom! It was a humble little place, I enjoyed it quite a lot.



Grantly got all snuggled up in the top bunk
Our fridge consisted of 20 cans of lift, a bottle of juice, and some mini pancakes.



The next morning we awoke at 6 AM, we had some breakfast, brushed the teeth, got our shit together and made our way to the bus stop. The bus was packed with punters, ranging from teens to 50 year old men. The bus pulled into Strickland bay and it looked the goods, 3-4 feet of swell and variable winds at 5 knots. I got a quick 20 minute surf in before the comp started so I was pretty happy with that.

The comp started and all the guys were ripping! Brodie Mclean was a stand out in my eyes.

Dave Delroy-carr was also in the mix



This guy was also shredding, I was so surprised with the level of surfing these guys were producing.



Lockie got knocked in his first round of the open mens division, but he made the Semi-finals in the pro junior. Well done!

This is where the Rotto post fails, My camera ran out of batteries. There for I have no more photos of the trip, so I can not tell you the rest of our adventure. Perhaps you can make up your own ending for the story. Post your ideas in a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment